Can 2 people with Hep B kiss?

My mother passed hep b to me from birth. When I was adopted, I was not educated about my medical history. I passed the virus to my boyfriend. When he was first diagnosed, the doctor told him that we should not be together anymore because being around me could make him more ill. We are still together but have taken numberous precautions. We are not intimate and watch carefully that we do not drink out of the same glass, etc. The doctor told him that he has cleared the virus from his system but is now a carrier of the virus but he can still build antibodies which he will be tested again for in August. It has been very difficult for the both of us because we are still trying to understand and educate ourselves so we can have a healthy life together. But it would be nice for us to be intimate even if it's just a little kiss. Is it okay for us to kiss? Was the doctor right? If we kiss, can he be in danger of his condition worsening?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Once he has had HBV then he can't get it again. I would disagree with your doctor. Go ahead and be as intimate as you like. However if you have HBV you should be treated. You should see an MD who specializes in liver disease and knows about HBV treatment. I would also have your boyfriend see the liver person. Safe sex should prevent HBV transmission and everyone who is negative should be vaccinated for HBV! Good luck and give him a kiss! DTD

Allergic Reaction to Rebetrol
hep c and kissing