For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Genotype 3A

I am now at week 28 and considering stopping treatment due to the side effects and all that I have read about the length of treatment for 3A. My eyesight is the thing I am most concerned about, along with weight loss (175 down to 147) My doctor treats all patients, regardless of genotype for 1 year. All research says that 24 weeks is appropriate for 3A. Firbosis is stage 3. Viral load is >135, GGT 70, AST 47, ALT 51. Am I doing the right thing by stopping, or should I go on for 1 year. I don't want to continue if there is no need. From what I have read, there is no change in results for 3a's from 24 to 48 weeks. Any help you could give me is greatly appreciated, as I am coming to the end of the week, and nervous about stopping.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is data from Europe that suggests that 24 weeks is as good as 48 weeks for genotypes 2 and 3. However your biopsy is severe and that may make a difference. Also your AST and ALT are not quite normal. I would make the decision based on how quickly the PCR became negative. If it became negative in a month or two, you could stop. If it took 3 or 4 months, then I would treat for a year. Good luck! DTD

women and immune response
Is it Too Late