Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Genotype 3A
Apr 7, 2003

I am now at week 28 and considering stopping treatment due to the side effects and all that I have read about the length of treatment for 3A. My eyesight is the thing I am most concerned about, along with weight loss (175 down to 147) My doctor treats all patients, regardless of genotype for 1 year. All research says that 24 weeks is appropriate for 3A. Firbosis is stage 3. Viral load is >135, GGT 70, AST 47, ALT 51. Am I doing the right thing by stopping, or should I go on for 1 year. I don't want to continue if there is no need. From what I have read, there is no change in results for 3a's from 24 to 48 weeks. Any help you could give me is greatly appreciated, as I am coming to the end of the week, and nervous about stopping.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is data from Europe that suggests that 24 weeks is as good as 48 weeks for genotypes 2 and 3. However your biopsy is severe and that may make a difference. Also your AST and ALT are not quite normal. I would make the decision based on how quickly the PCR became negative. If it became negative in a month or two, you could stop. If it took 3 or 4 months, then I would treat for a year. Good luck! DTD

Previous
women and immune response
Next
Is it Too Late

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.