Floaters, CNS Infections and Mental Disease

Dear Doctor, I've been HIV+ for over sixteen years. I've taken AZT for most of that time. I'm now taking AZT+ABC. My viral load is usually below the level of detection of the viral load tests (<20 copies/mml). My CD4+ T cells are always >1,000 cells/mml.

I've been bothered by floaters in both eyes for many years. They interfere with reading. Either the floaters are getting worse, or my brains ability to ignore then is getting worse.

A recent eye exam by an expert who sees many HIV+ patients said that my eyes have nothing wrong with them.

Are eye floaters ("cotton wool spots"), or the inability of the brain to process them out of my field of vision, associated with CNS infections and/or any well-known mental illnesses?

If so, what treatments have been tried? How well do they work?

Can AZT or ABC cause floaters, or interfere with the brains ability to process visual information?

Thank you,

Tom

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is not really a hepatitis question. However floaters are just remnants of an artery and vein that connected to the lense in your eye when you were in utero. Most people have them and they are benign and not related to HIV, AZT or cotton wool spots. Stay well! DTD

Worring myself sick
FLYING