Hiv+ and peg-intron

Dr.Doug, My Boyfriend has been hiv pos for 3 almost 4 years now. He recently went to the liver specialtist to find out about his liver enzymes. The doctor says he has cirrhosis 3 which is the least cirrosis one could have (i'm guessing) They have prescribed peg-intron ( peginterferon alpha-2b)Now my questions are these. With someone having Hiv and being on this medication , and not being on Hiv medication. is that going to lower is immunity for Oppo.infections? Side effects are pretty much "flu-like symptoms" but also causes depression, from what i've been told, stress is bad for people that are hiv pos. Please give me your insite on him being on peg intron, thank you very much....

T

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Actually Pegylated interferon is active against HIV. Interferons were one of the first drugs used against HIV. It will lower the HIV viral load as well as the HCV viral load. It will also lower the CD4 count but not significantly or in relation to the other white cells. This will be good for the HIV infection as long as he is on it and if he is able to rid himself of the HCV, his CD4 cells will also probably go up again! Keep up your support, as you know it is not an easy treatment! DTD

Poked with a dirty Needle and worried sick
Does Viread repair liver fibrosis?