Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Poked with a dirty Needle and worried sick
Feb 24, 2003

On Feb. 22nd i was cleaning out a room that my uncle lived in, He has been incarcerated for the last three months. While cleaning i was poked in the hand with a needle used to shoot heroin. My question is that if I am at risk for any disease if the needle has not been used for probally 2-3 months? When i realized what it was a dirty needle sticking out of my hand, I quickly removed it and washed my hands, and flushed with peroxide and rubbing alcohol. I am about 98 positive it didnt draw blood. I rinsed the wound instantly and now i am second-guessing wether or not it blead. Please respond ASAP I am worried sick.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Sounds like a very low risk exposure. However I would see your MD about 4 weeks to check you for everything and see if you need vaccines. Good luck! DTD

Previous
Hepatitis A
Next
Hiv+ and peg-intron

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.