Ribavirin dose

I took pegintron/rebetrol for 3 months then became ill with pnuemonia and was taken off of it. I was taking 1 shot a week and 3 pills in the am and 3 pills in the pm. I was off of the medicine for 5 months and then started back. When I started back they put me on 2 pills in the am and 2 pills in the pm. Why did they change the dose and which one is correct. I am 250 lbs. 6ft tall. Male.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Ribavirin is usually dosed by weight and at 250 pounds you would be in the 6 pill a day category. If you got anemic last time perhaps that is why you are getting a lower dose. However the response rate is higher if you take more ribavirin. If you got anemic then taking epoietin shots can easily increase your hemoglobin. Ask your MD! Good luck! DTD

after 6 mos cured/after 12 mos, viral inf.
viremia