Hepatitus C - Carrier

My father moved in with me several months ago and informed me he that has Hepatitis C, but that he is only a carrier and that I can't catch it from him. Is this true? I am very concerned. What precautions do I need to take? Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is no such thing as a carrier state of hepatitis C. If he has a positive PCR for the virus then he has the disease. If he only has the antibody then he is cured. At any rate it is not a risk to be around him. Only blood is infectious so don't share razors or toothbrushes and you should be fine. However you may want to advise him to see a specialist about his hepatitis C. Relax and give him a hug! DTD

Need a good Dr in NYC
after 6 mos cured/after 12 mos, viral inf.