Peg and Smoking Risks

We are currently preparing to start the new PEG Interferon alfa-2b plus Ribavirin Study we recieved an Informed Consent which had a section on risks that said you must not be at high for disease, Smoking etc. Well my husband is a smoker and the Drs. office could not answer this question "What are the risks of taking this treatment and smoking?" This study is being done by a Dr. Ira Jacobson at the New York Presbyterian Hospital and when I called there I was told that they couldn't give me any info. Are there side effects such as lung cancer/smoking and the treatment itself? I don't know if we should participate in this study or not?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

There is no contraindication of smoking while using peg-interferons.Smoking is associated with more severity of hepatitis C and we reccomend the patients to decrease or stop . There is no relationship to my knowledge between interferon and increased risk of lung cancer in smokers.

side effects of interferon
HIV+,Hepc+, and antidepressants