hiv syptoms

The only person I think could have had HIV, I slept with about 9 years ago. Today, after going in to check up on a lesion in my mouth, my nurse suggested I have an HIV test. Is this common practice nowadays? Or should I be worried. I'm never ill, and don't tend to catch whatever bugs are going around. If I had HIV wouldn't I have experienced some kind of lapse in health, and wouldn't it have manifest itself in some way in nine years?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Hiv can be present and without any symtoms for many years.Weprefer to test patients and find them negative, than to have a HIV positive to go undiagnosed for years and the patient only be diagnosed when is very sick. If this was your only risk, your chances are very good to be OK., but the only way to be sure is having the test.

Liver Panel Results
False negative? Wasting,rashes,night sweats