For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

HEPC False Positive?

About 10 years ago, at a Red Cross blood drive, I tested positive for HepC. I had no risk behaviors/history so this was quite a surprise. The knowledge altered my life, of course. Two years ago I received a viral scan. No virus. I've been told that I am probably a false positive. What's the story on that? The likelyhood?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The hepatitis c antibody positive means that you were exposed to the virus.It is needed a confirmatory test as PCR or RIBA to check if the virus is still present in the body.If this was the test you had ,it means that you cleared the virus after the infection and that you do not have the disease.

Liver Panel Results