The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared to death...need answers???
Dec 22, 2002

A post a while back stated this:

Dear Dr. Dieterich, Having adominal pain in the upper right quadrant of my body for two weeks and suspecting acute symptoms, I went to see a doctor. I just got back my HCV test and the test confirmed that I exposed to HCV 10 weeks ago.

Question: How do they determine that this individual contracted HCV 10 weeks ago? They can figure out exactly when a person was infected?

Another question: I have been with an HCV positive partner for 4 months now (from everyone I have spoken to my risk is extremely low - used condoms during intercourse, but did swallow semen once). I have just recently experienced abdominal pain on the right side below the rib. Needless to say, I am extremely anxious. I am going to get tested ...should i get HCV antibody test and also PCR test? Will they do that or do they start with the EIA antibody test first then move forward if necessary? Please advise on the best course of action to get the most timely response.

P.S. This is my 3rd email to you...would you please give it some consideration to be one that is responded to...Thanks, much.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The fastest way to get an answer about HCV is to get both the antibody and the PCR. If the PCR is negative you don't have it! If the antibody is negative and PCR is positive then you have an acute infection and it should be treated! It sounds like all low risk behavior. If the pain is sharp in your right upper quadrant you should get an ultrasound for gallstones too! Good luck! DTD

Pegasys Chemotherapy
false positive, blood donor, flu shot, low risk

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint