HEP C + Overseas patient....

Dear Dr. Dieterich;

My father's 1 yr regime of Peg Intron + Rebetol is scheduled to end in Feb. I can however speculate on his results. Well, In early Nov. his VL was 70,200 and not undetectable. I think my father developed some resistance as HE INTERUPTED THE MEDICATION FOR 2 mons and restarted again (for almost a yr)wihout achieving undetectable results as of Nov. My father's doc's apt is in April but he is afraid to stop b/c his VL may shoot up. But on the same token, he needs to stop in Feb and gets the VL results. The pt is I think once he stops his VL will shoot up again. So can he continue his medication say, till March and then run blood results? What kind of new medication can he be given if indeed his VL goes up again? Can he continue with Pegintron with a lower dosage? Any help and your comments is highly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It is a very complicated situation. However I would usually advise stopping the medication for a few months if the virus is still detectable then considering the other pegylated interferon or retreatment with the same peg, but after a vacation. There is no problem with letting the virus go up. If his biopsy is grade 3 or more then half dose maintenance peg may be a good idea. Wish him luck! DTD

MY BROTHERS LIVER- HE DIED
Daughter seeking knowledge on HCV treatments