|HIV, Hep C, ITP
Dec 22, 2002
Can hep C be treated with a low platelet count of 21k. I have read that interferon can increase platelet numbers. So far I cannot get a liver biopsy due to low platelets. Feel as though I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Response from Dr. Dieterich
It depends on why the platelets are low. If they are low from ITP then sometimes Interferon can help. In general, though, interferon lowers platelets a little although not usually prohibitively. You can get a transjugular liver biopsy which would give you the information without the risk of a percutaneous biopsy. Good luck! DTD
HBV thru dry surfaces
She can't cope - hep b?
- What Percentage Of People With Hpv Get Genital Warts?
- What If You Have Chlamydia For Over A Year?
- What Color Is The Fluid Inside Herpes Blisters?
- What Are Your Chances Of Getting Herpes If You Have Sex With Someone That Has It?
- What Are The Consequences Of Untreated Bacterial Vaginitis?
- Getting Treatment For Genital Warts When Can I Have Sex Again
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.