Anti-HCV Positive and High SGOT/SGPT/GGT

Dear Doctor:

We lived in Hong Kong for 8 years. I just received the following results from blood tests: Alkaline Phophatase 127 SGOT 56 SGPT 84 Gamma Glutamyltransferase 67 Anti-HCV (Hepatitis C) "Reactive" Except for high cholesterol (276) and high ratios (LDL/HDL 4.23 and chol/HDL 5.87), all other blood chemistry was normal.

My wife thinks I have hepatitis C. She says it can only come from sexual activity or needles.

I have not slept with anyone else.

I was hospitalized in 1995 with (Anaerobic) Bacterial Pneumonia and septicemia. 2 weeks in ICU. 3 months to recover. No reoccurence.

In 1996, I had surgery on my back (L5-S1), wih unfortunate side effects, and have been on various medications for chronic pain management ever since. Currently, I take methadone 10mg b.i.d., ACTIQ 400mg for breakthrough pain (average 1 every 2 days), xanaflex 4mg at bedtime. I have had numerous steroid injections as well as periodic steroid regimens to reduce swelling and the like.

What do I do? Do I have hepatitis C? Can it be a false reading? Do I have liver or kidney damage/disease? What do I do? My wife does not want me to come near her.

HELP, DCR.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You could have HCV although your tests don't prove it yet. You need to get a PCR to prove that the virus is actually there. It is possible that you can get it from a medical needle if it was not sterilized adequately. It is not a real sexually transmitted disease. If you had been having sex with your wife, then she should get tested too. However the CDC recommends no change in sexual behavior among monogamous heterosexual couples. In the meantime offer to use condoms until you both have your PCRs done. You could also have fatty liver from the elevated cholesterol. Good luck. See a real liver specialist for this! DTD

family with hep C
new drug name