family with hep C

my father has hep C and my brother gets tested cause he was a neddle drug user my brother has tested neg. so far but i was wondering how i can potect my self ?? i have been ill most my life and was wondering if me getting open soars in my mouth and drink from a cup they have used could some of the siliva getting into my soar give me Hep C... and does it lay dorment so that i can not be detected within the first couple months?? thanks Stephanie

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Stephanie, Don't worry. HCV is not transmitted through open sores or from cups. It is not even well transmitted sexually. It really has to be transmitted by blood. Don't use your Dad's or brother's razor or toothbrush and be careful around his needles. Otherwise you should be fine. There is an incubation period for it, but you are unlikely to get it. Good luck! DTD

Transmission of HBV
Anti-HCV Positive and High SGOT/SGPT/GGT