Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hepititis c risk
Oct 22, 2002

Hi doctor. I respect your comforting manner that you've shown in answering other questions.

My husband's ex-wife has been recently diagnosed with hep c. She and her doctor believe she contracted it after my husbands marriage to her. My husband is neg for hep c. My stepdaughter (their child) was tested yesterday... we don't have the results yet. Her mother's doctor has assured us that the risk that she's been infected is very low, even if her mother was hep c positive when she gave birth to her. I'm agonizing over the safety of my two sons who live with myself, my husband as well as my stepdaughter. Are they at any risk EVEN IF my stepd. is hep pos.? If she's not pos., and continues to spend time with her hep c pos mom, can she transmit the virus from her mother's home to ours? I'm so worried. I'm also 3 months pregnant. Please help.

Response from Dr. Fried

Your step-daughter is only at risk if she had acquired HCV at birth from her mother. If she tests negative now, there is nothing to worry about. She is NOT at increased risk from spending time with her HCV+ mother. They should not share razors and other common-sense precautions to prevent direct blood exposure. She can hug, kiss, and share food with her mother at no risk. Thus, there is also no risk that she could transmit it to your home.

Previous
Treating Acute HBV
Next
Please Help Coinfected

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.