For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Mike W.

I was diagnosed with HCV a couple of years ago. My Doctor says to get me blood work done once a year to detect any enzyme abormalities. So far they've been normal. Should i be doing more?

Response from Dr. Fried

Yes, assuming that the original diagnosis included an HCV RNA and was positive, this indicates that you still are infected with HCV. Normal liver enzymes do not guarantee that there is no liver disease present. In addition, liver enzymes can fluctuate between normal and abnormal. Under certain circumstances a liver biopsy is indicated. Please discuss further with your doctor to get a complete evaluation.

genotype 3b and length of treatment