Hep B Surfac Antigen Postive

I recently had a checkup and these are the lab results- Hep B Surfac Antigen Positive, Hep B (E) Antigen Negative, Hep C Negative, SGOT(AST) 62 U/L, APGT(ALT) 154 U/L. What does this mean and is there any treatment I could take? I show no symptom at all. Is my wife at risk of me transmitting anything to her? I was born in Vietnam, how could I have contracted this?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Fried

It appears that you are a carrier of hepatitis B. Having been born in Asia, it is possible that you acquired this at birth. Your wife is at risk for infection. She should be tested and if she is not already immune she should have the HBV vaccine. Similarly, all people living in your household should be tested and vaccinated.

There are treatments available for HBV. Consult your physician to discuss your complete evaluation and treatment options.

Taking the Hepatitis C Antibody Test again
Active Hep C.