Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

firefighter scared
Oct 2, 2002

Thank you so much for answering my question. I'm not sure I'm in the right forum but here goes my question. I've read many questions/answers in this forum. I'm a firefighter and possibly had a mucosal exposure to urine, unsure though. I was told that it wasn't even really an exposure and really no need to test for Hiv and Hep. I insisted on the tests anyway. The hep.A,B,C screens all came back negative at just over 6 weeks post-exposure. My Hiv screen came back as weak reactive on the elisa but negative on the western blot. My phycisian told me not to worry because the western blot is more specific to Hiv and it was negative, so don't worry, you don't have Hiv. I had another Hiv. test at my request a week later because of the built up anxiety and it came back non-reactive for the antibody test, this test was at just over 7 weeks(51 days). I know the average detection of antibodies is 25 days per CDC and usually you should test out at 6 months. I haven't had any risk exposures that I know of in years. I don't have any outside of the job risk factors. What do you think of this doctor? Do you think I should be worried at all even with the second test coming back non-reactive??

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Not really the right forum. However not really a risk either.Forget about it! It sounds like you are fine. Live your life and be careful! DTD

Previous
TEST RESULTS- NEED HELP!!!
Next
Formerly Frightened Long Islander

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.