ALT / ALK / AST

In Feb I tested w/ high Cholesterol 294 Triglyceride 188,LDL 191.3 HDL 64.9 My Dr put me on 80 MG of Zocor - my cholesterol dropped to 150, HDL 53.6, Triglyc 122, LDL 72.4 but ALT went from 14 to 204, AST 21 to 131 is this safe? Dr. does not want to chg the dosage, I'm scared.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Granted that you do not have other causes for this ALT elevation ,as chronic HBV,or acute viral hepatitis,this strongly suggest toxicity to the liver from Zocor.This drug has been implicated in mitochondrial toxicity,and is not usually used in HIV positive patients. You should stop this therapy and follow the tests,if the ALT goes back to normal,thats' your diagnosis. You should also discuss with your doctor if you really need drug therapy for the lipidemia at this moment,as well as less toxic alternatives,as exercise,diet,low dose statins,etc.

Am I Better?
Journal Reference