Hep c carrier

A year ago my partner was diagnoised with Hep C. I immediatley went and got tested for the virus. The blood test was negitive. I have recently been contacted by this partener who told me that in a discussion with a doctor that it is a possiability that I am a carrier and the only way to test this is by having a liver biopsy. Is this true? If I was a carrier wouldn't it have been detected in my blood test? Please help.

Response from Dr. Fried

A liver biopsy is not needed to identify a carrier of HCV. The anti-HCV antibody test is the best screening test in the presence of a risk factor. If anti-HCV is negative > 6 months after exposure, it is highly unlikely that you were infected. if there is concern for some reason about a false-negative anti-HCV test, consider obtaining an HCV RNA by PCR.

Wine damage to liver?
Doctor