healing time after liver biopsy

Hello, HepC pos, genotype 3e, viral count 45,100, experimental IV drug use in late 80's. Just found out in May., had liver biopsy Aug. 1 showed stage 2, grade 2. On wait list for treatment, Doc says chances are good of beating this. All of the sites describing biopsy procedure said wait 72 hours before any heavy lifting. My Doc said same. After 4 days I went back to the gym and worked out two days. I went about 75 max weight and 75 max exertion. I noticed discomfort in my side both where needle entered and around my liver. Monitored my pressure for days after, it was fine. Sept. 3 went back to the gym for two more days, still feeling discomfort in my right side. Pressure is ok. I did see one medical website which advised waiting a full monthe before doing any strenuous activity. My question: Could I have damaged anything? Should I wait longer before exercising? Should I tell my Doc? I feel fine otherwise. Also, can a biopsy ever negatively affect the liver, I mean damage it or induce another malady? Thanks for your help. This is a great site which has been a source of information and comfort during this stressful time.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There can be some scar tissue after the biopsy which you can stretch out and maybe tear. There is not a lot of damage that you can do after a week has gone by. The liver regenerates very rapidly and after a week all the tissue that was removed is probably replaced. Good luck with the treatment! DTD

Liver counts and pregnancy
Frightened Long Islander