help

hi DR. i am dentist and getting HCV recently from one of my pt.and just starting my postgraduate study in oral surgry. Q1: should i stop my job? Q2:or should i change my study. Q3:can i start treatment without getting liver biopsy ,which not avalbile in my country. thank you

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is an interesting question. You can certainly take the meds without a liver biopsy. Dentists are at risk for hepatitis viruses. The big question is does it put your patients at risk? Probably not if you properly glove and use precautions. There has been a heart surgeon in the US recently told to stop operating until he is cured, because he gave the HCV to several patients during surgery. The best way to go is to get treated ASAP! Good luck! DTD

hepatic and renal failure
Liver counts and pregnancy