Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can't donate blood
Aug 25, 2002

My question is this...I donated blood...results came back anti-hbc positive only...blood was trashed. Possibly false positive. Donated blood a second time...got no notification that there were any problems with my blood and was asked to donate again in the future which i did. Now the third time i donated, again I was anti-hbc positive only. Now i am told that I should never again in my entire life donate blood and my name is on a list held by the american red cross...as i may have had Hep B before. First of all..why would my future donations be denied if the chances that I am a carrier are very slim..as i wasn't positive for anything else. If i was...well my second donation could have caused a risk to the recipients of my blood. Also it seems to me that Hep B isn't a death sentence for most people...90+ clear the infection. I just think that the odds of transmitting Hep B from a person who has cleared the infection onto another person through blood donation is so slim....and since we are desperate for donors...is this much restriction necessary?

Response from Dr. Fried

The blood banking procedures have been established to maximize the safety of the blood supply. They have been studied extensively and the current regulations do an excellent job in preventing blood-borne disease. In the right setting, anti-HBc as the only positive marker could indicate a recent HBV infection (not your case as you describe). Therefore, your blood was rejected. Please don't take it personally.

Previous
HIV or HEP B
Next
Hepatitis C

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.