Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible HCV and HIV co-infection and antibody testing
Aug 17, 2002

Hey DR. Rodriguez-Torres!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am writing my question to you because you seem to really know your stuff when it comes to Hepatitis and HIV co-infection.

I wanted to know if a person became co-infected all at once by one exposure to infected blood, could the two viruses together hinder antibody production of both viruses. I already had a negative for HIV 6 months after the exposure. What would be the window period for possible co-infection? I will be getting the HCV test soon.

Thanks for your response!

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

No,if you are infected with both viruses at the same time,you will have the antibodies to be detected as in any other patient.You can take more than a year to show hep,C antibodies,so if you really are concerned about a risky exposure, you should get a HCVRNA by PCR.The most common scenario is that patients get exposed to HCV years before the HIV infection.In cases of IV drug use, infection is extremely effective ,and patients are infected in the first year of IVDU.Coinfection with HIV,accelerates the progression of the disease,and a larger number of patients wiil go on to develop end stage liver disease.

Previous
HEP B and KS Treatment
Next
Pegasys Availability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.