Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help!!!
Aug 15, 2002

I have become increasingly concerned about accidentally becoming infected with HBV or HCV. Is it possible to become infected after contact with someone who comes straight from work in a prison (and is constantly around and touching infected inmates who may be bleeding)? I am fearful of touching anything I feel may have come into contact with someone working in a prison, needle exchange program, etc. thinking there is a possibility an object having infected blood on it will come into contact with me.

Is this crazy??

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Fried

Educating yourself about how these viruses are transmitted can help you deal with your fears. First, get the HBV vaccine so that you can be immune to HBV (not that you can become infected based upon your description)and you won't have to worry about HBV anymore. HCV is not acquired easily and requires direct blood-to-blood contact. Even a direct needlestick from an HCV infected person will transmit HCV only about 3% of the time. It is not transmitted by casual contact. Try the CDC website for more info about transmsission and prevention. cdc

Previous
hep A , after 2 months of bedrest
Next
HBV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.