Aug 15, 2002
I just found out that a close friend has active Hep C. My g/f had unproteced sex with him about 5 years ago. They think he was infected through blood trans, about 21 years ago. I am going to tell her, but would like to know more info before I do.
Response from Dr. Fried
The risk to your girlfriend from sexual exposure to HCV is low. However, it can occur. She can get tested with anti-HCV to make sure that she has not been exposed to HCV. In the unlikely event this is positive, she can see her doctor for further evaluation.
Hep C question
hep A , after 2 months of bedrest
- People From Which Age Group Are More Likely To Suffer From Opportunistic Infections
- What Is The Difference Between Genital Herpes And Shingles?
- What Is The Best Over The Counter Medicine For Chlamydia?
- What Is A Over The Counter Genital Wart Remover?
- What Happens When You Have Mouth Herpes?
- What Else Can Cause Blisters Besides Genital Herpes?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.