HEP C

I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH HEP C. MY DOCTOR EXPLAINED THAT IT CAN DAMAGE MY LIVER. BUT MY QUESTION IS IF I DON'T ALREADY SMOKE NOR DO DRUGS AND STAY CAREFUL OF CERTAIN MEDICATION IS THERE ANYTHING FOR ME TO BE WORRIED ABOUT? I ALSO KNOW THAT I CAN BE MORE OPEN TO HEP A AND HEP B BUT I ALREADY HAD VACCINES FOR B NOW I JUST HAVE TO DO A. WHAT IS THE CHANCE OF IT BEING CONTRACTED THROUGH SEXUAL ACTIVITY?

Response from Dr. Fried

Avoiding illegal drugs and alcohol (especially) will decrease the chances that your hepatitis C liver disease will get worse. However, even leading a healthy lifestyle does not guarantee that hepatitis C will stay mild over the next 10 or 20 years. Therefore, you and your doctor should fully evaluate your hepatitis C and discuss whether treatment is right for you.

Hepatitis C can be transmitted through sexual activity, but the risk is relatively small. Log on to the CDC website for additional info. cdc

outlier cases
CAN IT BE CURED