Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dra. Rodriguez-Torrres, please help...
Jul 22, 2002

If co-infected at the same time with HIV, Hep B, CMV, we know that normal antibody period may be delayed. Do we know when serum viremia would absolutely be present to diagnose infection? I have intermittently raised ALTs (up to 120) one year after possible exposure, and my testosterone level has dropped to below 200 (I am 35 yo)...all tests (viremia and antibody) for all infections have returned negative out to 12 months. No alcohol or drugs, not fatty liver and Iron/ferritin normal. AST has never been out of limits.. CD4 800/CD19s 6---lowest end of ref range. Does this mean I can't make antibodies? What do I do, and what could it be?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

You have excelent CD4,and for most this infections you will develop antibodies as a non HIV patient.If you are negative for C and B,ono year later you are just negative.!!Only in extremely advanced HIV,we may see false negatives for C infection.We suspect also that hidden B disease in HIV is very rare,and only seen in advanced cases.The main immune problem in HIV,is cellular mediated immunity,not antibody production.You are lucky to be negative to C and B,as liver related diseases are the most important cause of morbidity and death in HIV at this moment.

Previous
Scared of possible HEP C contact.
Next
biopsy results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.