HEP C + Treatment options!!

Dear Doctor, your effort and answers are highly appreciated. In your latest response to my inquiry (answered on July 5th) you said that after 6 months of treatment if the VL is not detectable then my father should stop his treament which is peg intron and Rebetol. My question to you is if the VL decreases to a lower level, shouldnt he continue with the medication? My last important question is what should my father do if he does not seem to respond well to his current medication? can he take any other medications? His liver biopsy is currently at stage III, grade II. I know there has got to be something where we could be able to stop the progression of this virus. Pls answer as soon as you can.

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If the PCR is still positive after 6 months, then maintenance therapy with low dose peg is possible and is often successful in preventing progression to cirrhosis. Wish him luck. DTD

Understanding Hepatitis A, AB & B Core AB Total
Hep./HIV exposure