How soon can blood tests show HCV infection?
Jun 29, 2002
Hello. How soon can the blood tests show that you have recived, not just the antibodies, but the HCV virus? Thank you very much.
Response from Dr. Fried
HCV RNA may be detectable very early (approx 1 week) after HCV infection when a sensitive PCR-based assay is used. However, for practical purposes, I recommend checking HCV RNA 4 weeks after a possible exposure (a needlestick in a healthcare worker for example)and then getting additional follow-up.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Medication Is Used To Treat Gonorrhea?
- What Do Genital Herpes Look Like When They First Start?
- What Can Cause A False Hpv Reading?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Or Warts From A Safe Exposure With A Prostitute?
- What Antibiotics Can Be Used To Cure Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Is The Lifespan Of The Hpv Virus?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.