Persisting case of Hepatitis A.

Dear Doctor,

I am 19 years old, male, living in Madras, India. I am employed as an accountant, Working from 10 a.m to 5 p.m.

I am recovering from a severe case of Hepatitis A. Initially (Jan 8, 2002), SGPT rose to 1375 and SGOT to 1465 and Bilirubin was at 20(Direct-14.2, Indrect-5.8) then Bilirubin rose to 31.6 and SGOT came down to 535 and SGPT at 710(Jan, 28 2002) .

Slowly I have recovered basically by taking total rest and restricted and bland diet. On 27th Apr, 2002, my Bilurubin level came down to 2(Direct-0.9, Indirect-1.1), SGOT-18 and SGPT-30. The next month i.e. 28th May, 2002, Bilurubin was at 1.7(Direct-1, Indirect-0.7), SGOT-17 and SGPT-18.

On the advice of my local doctor I started going to work.

One month hence, my Bilurubin level has slightly increased to 2.2(Direct-1.2, Indirect-1),SGOT-13, SGPT-22.

I am otherwise normal,having a good appetite, weighing 61kgs.

I would like to know: 1)Why my bilurubin level is not coming down to normal and is there a case of persisting infection in the liver ? 2)If yes,what are the steps am I to take??

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It is not uncommon for hepatitis A to have a variable course. However it is a long time. You should also be checked for hepatitis B and C. If they are negative, then the hepatitis A will eventually go away without causing any damage. Good luck! DTD

HCV
kindergarten son just vaccinated with 4th dose--safe?