HBV DNA too high for IFN...

I would like to share with you my last news.

I had a Cat Scan done few days ago, and they told me everything was ok.

In the past I thought I had a low DNA count and high ALT. Well, my ALT/AST continued to go up (by the way, I stopped taking Milk Whistle and Vitamin E for the last 3 months, but that is another topic), and it seems my calculation was wrong. On Nov. 2000 my DNA viral count was 2'600.000, or waht I believe was 9.19 pg/ml. Well, I thought my first and best choice would be IFN alfa.

However, now that I thought I would be ready to follow the recipe:

Naive to treatment, ALT levels 2-3 times high , DNA levels < 200 pg = IFN, If DNA > 200; add LAM

If all above and ALT> 5 times high , DNA > 200 = LAM'

If past failure with IFN and any above : Adefovir/Entecavir/Lam or combo

If past failure with LAM and any above : Adefovir/Entecavir/ or combo,

It seems I am way over 200pg !!!!

My last DNA viral count came today as

HBvDNA count (Hep B Viral DNA assay quantitative): 187,336 X 10 (3) copies /ml.

That means my load is 661.96 pg/ml (What a jump for less than 18 months... even for logarithmic curves).

and my ALT / AST:

February : ALT/AST = 276/126

April: ALT/AST = 318/147

Normal ranges: ALT: 10 -60 AST: 12 -45

Platelets are low: 141 K/ul and 124 K/ul (Feb and April respectively). (Normal range: 152 - 312) Hemoglobin - HGB 16.5 g/ dL INR 1.0 ( I don't know what this is) Bilirubin, Total 1.3 mg/dL

Troponin I (April) &<0.3 ng/mL

HDL Cholesterol 28 mg/dL Glucose level 136 mg/dL Hematocrit 46

So I guess I don't have to worry about costs of the medication or the side effects, especially Depression any more and should start right now with Lamivudine.

It seems that for the doctor it is my decision what drug to use, but I wanted to hear "other opinion" first.

Would you give me some advice and especially your point of view and experience. I would like to know when can I expect to normalize my ALT and decrease the viral load if I start LAM next week.

I understood IFN would improve my immune system, and it would start trying to kick off the virus.

How does LAM operate?

Will my right hand side pain continue?

Will my dry mouth and swollen feet continue to bother?

Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

I hate recipes,frequently do not work out the same way with different cooks.!In hepatitis ,the aproach to treatment has alwys to be considered for the individual patient.There are so many drugs for Hep.B in active research and development,that what to use and when,will change dramatically in the next years.You do not give me the information that I think is very important,to decide for and against IFN;how is your liver histology?Although the trials with PegIFN with and without Lamiduvine and tenofovir are under way,if you have significant liver activity,and fibrosis,you may benefit better from therapy that includes IFN.Please notice that at this point ,IFN means,pegylated, with significant less side effects and much better tolerability than daily IFN used for Hep.B. You have high viremia,and high ALT,and is clear to me that you need therapy.I advise you to have a liver biopsy,and discuss the alternatives with your hepatologist,and start therapy.

EMBARAZO
Could I have infected by kissing if trauma was present?