For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

how long should i wait?

Yesterday I was exposed to vaginal fluids on my penis that had open wounds. i would like to test for hep c and want to find out when i should take both the pcr and antibody tests??? can i do it now or should i wait a few months??? thanks!

Response from Dr. Fried

Hepatitis B is more likely to be contracted from what you describe and you should be tested for that as well. For HCV, check the HCV RNA at 4 weeks after the exposure. If it is negative, you did not contract HCV. A follow-up antibody test would confirm this 6 months after the exposure. Ask your doctor about HBV tests also.

Question about Hep C.
cant get test, please help, begging now