The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how long should i wait?
Jun 17, 2002

Yesterday I was exposed to vaginal fluids on my penis that had open wounds. i would like to test for hep c and want to find out when i should take both the pcr and antibody tests??? can i do it now or should i wait a few months??? thanks!

Response from Dr. Fried

Hepatitis B is more likely to be contracted from what you describe and you should be tested for that as well. For HCV, check the HCV RNA at 4 weeks after the exposure. If it is negative, you did not contract HCV. A follow-up antibody test would confirm this 6 months after the exposure. Ask your doctor about HBV tests also.

Question about Hep C.
cant get test, please help, begging now

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint