Biopsy results

I got my results fo my liver biopsy back. I am a stage one grade 4.I was courious about staging and what it means.My viral load is greater than 1,000,000. My liver functions are normal. My serum iron is elevated a little. But I am so tired all the time and have a lot of body aches. I was diagnosed with HCV in March and I'm still confused with all this lab stuff. If you could explain some of this I would really appreciate it. Alc from Texas

Response from Dr. Fried

The grade of the liver biopsy refers to the degree of inflammation (or irritation) of the biopsy. The stage refers to the degree of fibrosis (or scarring). Grade 4, Stage 1 as you describe suggests that the liver is actively irritated but has yet to develop significant fibrosis. Ask questions of your healthcare provider so they can explain more details about your particular disease.

urgent: meaning of
immunity to Hep B