For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

urgent: meaning of

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a Spanish translator doing research for a text and I would be grateful if you could clarify the meaning of "FLARES" in the following sentence:

"ALT flares were less common with REPSUR than with placebo, so acute exacerbations of hepatitis that can lead to liver decompensation should be uncommon during treatment with REPSUR"

Thank you very much for your help and time

Response from Dr. Fried

"ALT flares" refer to sudden increase of serum ALT activity (a liver enzyme) greater than the baseline value for that patient.

End Stage Suggestions
Biopsy results