The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Husbands Ex-wife is being tested for HEP C and I fear for children
Jun 17, 2002

My step kids(whom my husband has full custody of) came home from being with their mother for two weeks and said she had a liver disease and that they were not suppose to drink after her, when i thought about and since i have an associate degree in M.A. i confronted her about hepatitis. She said that she had given blood and that her blood came back positive, she has been to the doctor and been tested and the test were inclusive she said they are sending her to a specialist in Sept. b/c they said that there may be something wrong with her liver instead of Hepatitis C. She also said she got this beacuse her Aunt has it and it is hereditery. She is a very sexual active person and i know the chances their are slim, but is it possible that she could of got Hep through Sex? I have never heard of it being hereditery is it? And i have two other children at home are they in any danger? What about the twelve year old who they think hasn't has a vaccine? Please help I am so worried they will bring it home to us

Response from Dr. Fried

Hepatitis C is transmitted through exposure to blood. It is not transmitted from drinking glasses, food utensils, kissing, etc. It is not hereditary. It can be sexually transmitted but not easily. Children born to mothers who have hepatitis C should be tested since they rarely could have been infected at birth. There is no vaccine for hepatitis C but there is for hepatitis B and universal vaccination for hepatitis B is a great idea.

esophageal varices

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint