hep b

I have been told i have hep b but my test for hbv surface antigen was negative and my surface antibody was negaive and my hbv core antibody was positive does this mean it is chronic or acute or does it mean it is gone and my body took over it. and also does hiv have to be present with hbv and does it have anything to do with hbv thank you.

Response from Dr. Fried

Without all the information- two possibilities for the description of your lab tests: HBcAb is a marker of exposure to HBV. Thus, you were likely exposed to HBV at some point in the past. However, it is NOT a chronic infection becuase the HBsAg is negative. How recent was the exposure can only be determined with other blood tests but these are not warranted unless your doctor is investigating the possibility of very recent, acute hepatitis B. HBV and HIV are transmitted in the same way but they are different viruses so having been exposed to one does not mean you have been exposed to the other. Nevertheless, all precautions should be taken to prevent exposure in the future.

Can you have Hep C for 24 years and not know about it?
found out I have hep. c