|Can you have Hep C for 24 years and not know about it?
May 30, 2002
My wife had a blood transfusion in 1977 when she was a baby. Is it possible to have Hepatitas C for 24 years and not know about it?
Response from Dr. Fried
Yes, most of my patients were infected many years ago and did not know about it until they went for routine blood tests (insurance exam, blood donation, etc.). Anyone who had a transfusion prior to 1992 may be at risk and should be screened for HCV. If positive, a full evaluation of her liver disease should be done.
My wife tested reactive for HVC
- Is Muscle Ache An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
- Probability Of Getting AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Erectile Dysfunction After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Purple Spots After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Atripla And High Liver Enzymes
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.