Hep C Enzyme Levels

I was tested for HIV, Hep A, B and C while I was incarcerated. I tested neg. for HIV but was informed that I had been exsposed to Hep. A, B and that I had Hep C. My enzyme levels were in the high 300's maybe 378? The medical person informed me that enzyme levels in the 70's or 80's was considered high, I don't ever feel sick, although my liver hurts when I am withdrawing from drugs (heroin), this is the only time that my liver bothers me. I know that I should quit using and plan too but do you think that my enzyme levels are indicative of a serious liver problem (besides hep C)?

Response from Dr. Fried

The levels of ALT you decribe can be seen with chronic hepatitis B and hepatitis C. They don't necesssarily correlate with the severity of underlying liver disease. Other tests and findings on physical exam are more predictive of serious liver disease. You would benefit from a drug rehab program and full evaluation by a GI/Liver specialist.

hep c
hepatitis A