Adefovir and LAM

Dear Doctor Dieterich,

I lost my job and don't have health insurance. I went to the local clinic and they sent me to the local hospital. The GI doctor can only see me once a month. I am surprised he recommended IFN without having a liver Biopsy. I was diagnosed 18 months ago. I am HBeAg Pos, HBsAg Pos, HBcoreAB Pos, HBsAB Neg, HBvDNA Pos, 187 X 10(6) copies.

PTLS are low : 122 K/Ul AST 126 ALT 276

How can I have access to a doctor willing to go through the paperwork and protocols to get Adefovir for me?

Is Entecavir any better than Adefovir?

If I enroll in a clnical trial (double blinded) of Entecavir vs. LAM, would it be a good move knowing that LAM after a year ( I am guessing) may cause virus mutation?

Thanks a lot.

(I am so concerned.. my right hand side - abdomen is hurting, and I don't know if it is smart to wait until Adefovir is released).

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I would enter the trial if I were you. The side effects of interferon are difficult to say the least! There is little to lose in the protocol. Adefovir should be available at the end of the year or early next year. DTD

vaccination and preganacy
Please Help! Testing info