Someone please set me straight

I was told 4yrs. ago that I had hepC antibodies in my blood, but that my enzymes were normal. I recently went back for more information on the progress of my hepC, but the doctor at the V.A. confused me more than any thing else, saying you were testing for the antibodies and have them and will always have them. After visiting the forum a few times I've realized that I haven't taken any more tests, and I need to know how bad I have it, hepC or if I just have the antibodies. That's if it's possible to have antibodies and not have hepC. Also, I've never been sick or had any symtoms that I can remember. Could someone tell me what to get tested for nexts, or was I just exposed and have fought off the virue. Someone please set me straight.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Once you had infection with the HCV ,you will develop HCV antibodies.This will happen in all cases independently if you clear the virus.It is a permanent memory of the infection.You will need to be tested now for HCV PCR ,to see if the virus is still in your body.If the test is positive,you will need an assesment of the status of the liver to decide if you will need treatment.

Hep C non-responder
transmisson of Hepatitus C