Milk Thistle

Dear Dr. Maribel, I heal that milk thistle is healing and good for the liver. Is this true about Milk Thistle? I have Acute/chronic hep c and want to do all I can to help my body.

Thank you so much for your time. Monique

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

MILK THISTLE or Sylimarin can help to decrease the levels of the hepatic tests,but it does not have any effect against the HCV or in the liver damage caused by HCV.It is not harmful,and you can use it even while receiving therapy with interferon,but please do not sustitute therapy for it ,if you are told to need treatment. There are other natural herbs and roots that can, on the contrary, harm you and damage and worsen the liver. Be sure to check with your doctor any other natural drug that you may consider.

hep c and genotype
Pegasys Availability