Acute hepitis C

Dear Dr. Torres, My doctor took blood work and also ordered a liver ultrasound. He orderded this to confirm a positive c anti. test. I went to him to today and he told me not to worry that I had 2a type. My ultrasound was good and so was my blood work. My doctor told me that I have Acute hep C. Should I worry, or see another Doctor? Thank you so much, Monique

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Acute hepatitis C occurs at the time of infection and it is usually not recognized clinically.The infection does not cause jaundice in the majority of cases and the symptoms of tiredness,anorexia,gastrointestinal upset etc.,are confused with other diseases.When the virus remains in the body for more than 6 months,it is defined as chronic.This happens in 85% of all cases. Your doctor confirmed the infection, and found that the type of virus you have is 2a.This genotype of the HCV is the one that best responds to treatment.Recent data on Pegasys-Ribavirin combination,showed cure in more than 85% of cases with only 24 weeks of therapy aand 800mg RBV.

HIV/HBV Co-infection affect Elisa HIV Test
hep c and genotype