For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Interprete results ,precautions& vaccination

Please do me a favour by interpreting results of my relative aged 50 years have got HEP B SURF AG ,EIA test positive & HEAPATITES B E ANTIGEN test negative Pl. guide me that vaccination of Hep.B can be given after the above results and guide me about the precautions to be taken by relative and is there any kind of danger from hep B patient having these test results. Thanking you in advance

Response from Dr. Fried

Positive HB surface antigen indicates that your relative carries HBV. Negative HBe antigen suggests it is the inactive carrier state BUT additional info is needed such as HBV DNA and liver enzyme tests to fully distiguish these possibilities.

The HBV vaccine will not help someone who already has chronic hepatitis B. HOWEVER, all household and sexual contacts of the person infected with HBV should receive the vaccine or be screened with blood tests for evidence of immunity/exposure to HBV.

Genotype, liver biopsy, and HCV-RNA
liver enzymes?