Genotype, liver biopsy, and HCV-RNA

Thank you for your answer you seem to agree with a DR. Ben Cecil in Kentucky. My problem is that my Dr. here wants to still say I have it. My liver biopsy showed "History of Hepatitis C" but when they did the genotype twice once this month and once back in August of 2001 both came back inconclusive. When I asked them what that meant, they told me that it still meant I had it but that my levels were to low to detect. So I called the lab myself and the lab tecnician told me that in order to get a genotype I would have to have more than 600 ius, he said since mine came back inconclusive that I had to of had less than 600 iu's, can't seem to get the dr.s to re run my HCV-RNA test. I feel that I have cleared the virus. Do you know of any good Specialists in Wichita KS. And can you recomend one.Thank you again Kathy. Please answer as soon as you can.

Response from Dr. Fried

Forget about the genotype. Ask your physician to perform a qualitative PCR for HCV RNA. The sensitivity is down to about 50 IU. If this is negative, it appears that you cleared the HCV virus spontaneously (especially since multiple other PCR tests were negative).

I don't know anyone personally in Wichita but try the nearest medical center affiliated with a medical university. Ask for the GI division and see who specializes in liver disease. Bring all your previous lab tests with you when you go for a consultation.

Hep B
Interprete results ,precautions& vaccination