HB test

A general blood test revealed the followings :

HAVAB Igm : -

HBsAb-Num : 21.4 HBsAb : Reactive

HBsAG-Num : 0.73 HBsAG : negative

HBcore Ab-num: 0.104 HBcore Ab : Reactive

HCVAB Num : 0.08 HCVAB : Nonreactive

T Billi (mg/dL):0.7 (0.1 -1.0) D Billi (mg/dL):0.2 (0.0 -0.4) T Protein(g/dL):7.2 (6.0 -8.0) Albumin (g/dL) :3.9 (3.5 -4.8) Alk Phos (U/L) :114 (50 - 140) SGOT (U/L): 22 ( 7- 41 ) SGPT (Dim)(U/L): 48 (20 -65) LDH (U/L): 119 (100 - 190) GGTP (U/L):29 (5 -85)

An ultrasound scan of lever shows normal size with fatty changes.

Another ultrasound reports says "Normal in size, shape and position, Uniform and normal echo pattern. No intrahepatic biliary dilatation. No mass lessions.

Another ultra sound report says "Normal lever - CBD / PV - normal

Hep AG is negative. What do HB antibodies and HB core antibodies show ? I feel mild pain/rather discomfort and it is localized on the upper quadrant under right side ribcage, which sometimes travels to left side under the ribcage also. When I feel pain on the right side, it causes belching. I also feel pain in the back ribs of both right and left. This problem started two months ago. Initially, I felt great pain on the right side on a bumpy road, while driving a car. I have gastrointestinal problem also and has unusal amount of gas and belching, which may be due to this problem. One of my tea-boy (office peon) has been having the same symptoms for the last 10 months. I doubt that may be I got it from him through saliva, since he might have tasted the tea before serving. My urine and stool tests are normal. This mild pain/discomfort on the right side is almost continuous. In the beginning, this pain was very severe and I used to get pain killers, which used to give me relief.

I would like to ask you the following questions, which will be useful for others also.

1)Am I a carrier in view of above results. 2)Can I go for HB vaccine 3)Another blood test recently done for HB shows HBsAG:Negative. Is the test for core antibody is different from surface antigen or when the lab processes for surface antigen, they can see core antibodies also and report it. 4)The above symptoms are still continuing, which, I have observed many recovered patients reporting on various message board. Why are these symptoms not improving, when I think I am already recovered, since surface antigen is negative.

Please give a complete reply, as I am greatly worried and your detailed reply would of be a great help to everybody.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If your SAg is negative and your Core Ab is positive then it means you have had hepatitis B and are now better. You have cleared the infection. There is no role for vaccination here you are immune. The other symptoms are not related to hepatitis B. You should see a gastroenterologist about them. DTD

Pegasus
taking care of the liver