Apr 24, 2002
1) Experts normally link hep C and HIV infection together, will a hep C patient suffer fom AIDs too? What's the chances? What happens if it is the other way round?
2) The rates for a person to contract HCV through sex is low, how low is it? what are we preventive measure I need to take if my boyfriend is hep C positive? eg, using condoms
Response from Dr. Fried
HIV and hep C frequently occur together because the risk factors for acquisition of the disease may be similar, ie blood exposure, sharing of needles.
The risk of sexual transmission for HCV is considered to be low, although it is not zero. There are no recommendations for couples in monogamous relationships to change their sexual practices just because one partner has HCV. Nevertheless, because the risk is not zero, the partners involved should do whatever makes them comfortable.
tattoo and hepatitus
- When You Get The Shingles Vaccine Can You Still Get An Outbreak?
- What's The Difference Between Trichomoniasis And Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Reactions Does Genital Herpes Have?
- What Pills Can You Take To Get Rid Of Bacterial Vaginosis Or A Yeast Infection?
- What Is The Meaning Of Chlamydia Igm Antibodies?
- Symptoms Of Syphilis In Throat
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.