Apr 11, 2002
Does even the reliability of HBV DNA testing depend upon presence of surface antigen in HBV infection? (ie., in co-infection with HIV, if no surface antigen, will HBV DNA also be absent from serum?) Thanks for your help to us.
Response from Dr. Dieterich
HBV DNA by PCR is very sensitive. Almost too sensitive! It does correlate with infectivity and if over 50,000 copies. It will not be falsely negative even if all the other hepatitis B markers are. It is very reliable and easy to use. I like this test. If you are in doubt about the outcome use this one. DTD
Does HBV have window period?
- Will Masturbation Cause Chlamydia To Come Back?
- Will Blood Test Detect Gonorrhea?
- What Natural Herb Can Be Used To Treat Chlamydia?
- What Are Your Chances Of Getting Herpes If You Have Sex With Someone That Has It?
- What Are Other Names For Toxoplasmosis?
- Is There A Natural Way To Cure Hpv Genital Wart?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.